Skip to main content


How do I decide which course is right for me?

You can view our courses here and also print out PDF leaflets to give you more information about each course.

Alternatively, contact us here or use the live chat window at the bottom of the page.

How do I make a booking?

Email us at  If you are in Dublin, you can visit the school and book there.

How do I let you know which level of English I am?

You can take the web based test here.  The test takes up to one hour.  The result is sent straight to our academic team.

If you can’t take the test before your arrival, we will help you take it on your first day.

Can I tell you what I would prefer to study in my class?

If you are joining our General English/Cambridge course, you can fill in the needs analysis here:

General English Needs Analysis

If you are joining one of our IELTS courses, you can find the needs analysis here:

IELTS Needs Analysis

If you are coming for a one-to-one private lesson, please fill in this needs analysis:

Private English lesson/course Needs Analysis

If you are coming with a bigger group, your agent will fill in our needs analysis form for you.


We try our best to take all of your wishes onto account.  And you can use the one-to-one session on a Wednesday to get further guidance from your teacher about your personal goals.


How do I book accommodation?

You can browse our range of accommodation options here.  If you have questions or would like to make a booking, use the contact us button at the top of each page.

How do I pay for my course?

The best way to pay is by bank transfer.  When you make your booking we will contact you with details.

What are the public holidays?

Swan ELT closes for the following dates, and over the Christmas/New Year period in addition to these dates:

Sunday Jan 1 New Year’s Day
Friday Mar 17 St. Patrick’s Day
Monday Apr 10 Easter Monday
Monday May 1 May Bank Holiday
Monday Jun 5 June Bank Holiday
Monday Aug 7 August Bank Holiday
Monday Oct 30 October Bank Holiday
Monday Dec 25 Christmas Day Holiday 
Tuesday Dec 26 St. Stephen’s Day Holiday 


What happens on my first day?

If you have taken the placement level test 5 days before your arrival, you can meet the Front Line manager or the DOS/ADOS, After a short oral interview and an induction, you will receive your class and teacher information plus a Swan Learner Portfolio booklet so you can start your course straight away!

If not, we will look for your results or you will take the placement level test when you arrive in the school on your first day. After collecting your results, and after completing a short oral test, you can collect our course starting information and start your classes.

When you start your class your teacher will welcome you to the class and introduce you to your classmates.

After class, you can meet the Social Programme Coordinator who will give you an orientation of the school and of Dublin city centre.

Here is a video to watch all about your first day!

What time is the school open?

Monday – Friday, 8.30am – 5.15pm (late opening Tuesday & Thursday until 6pm)

What materials do I need for class?

You don’t need any materials (except for a pen and paper). We use class sets of course books, web based and authentic materials and so you will be provided with everything by your teacher and via Edmodo for IELTS students (your teacher will tell you about this).  You will receive a Swan Learner Portfolio where you can note down any new vocabulary and make course notes in general.

Are there any "school rules"?

Just the usual! No smoking. No eating or drinking in class (simple bottle of water allowed, and international food events are the exception to this rule!).  Use your mobile phone in class for learning only. Be respectful to your teacher and your classmates. Use the bins provided.

What is your late/attendance policy?

If you miss more than a couple of lessons, we will contact you to remind you about how important it is to keep at least 85% attendance.  If you miss a week of lessons, we will give your space to another student and you can need to be tested again for a place in class when you return. You visa status is is also  affected by low attendance. Have a look at our attendance policy here.

It is important that you arrive on time for your lessons.  If you are more than 15 minutes late for class, you will not receive attendance for that lesson.  This is a stipulated GNIB regulation.  It is at the discretion of the teacher as to whether you are allowed join the lesson without attendance.

What if the level isn't right for me?

If you feel the level isn’t right on your first day, that’s ok.  Talk to your teacher and the ADOS in the first break or during your first lunch break.

What if I want to change levels later in my course?

If you have been in your course level for some time and you think you are ready to move up, follow these guidelines and the check-list here.  You should discuss with your teacher and/or DoS/ADoS.  In addition, you will be required to take a change of level test.

How do I travel to the school?

We are located right in the centre of the city, on its most famous street, Grafton Street.  This is the central transport hub, so we are very easy to find.  You can get here via bus, LUAS (the street tram system) or DART (the local commuter train network).

Use this website to help – give your address in Dublin and it will tell you the best way to travel to the city centre by bus, LUAS or DART.

If you are coming straight from the airport, you can arrange an airport pick up, or take the Aircoach to Trinity College, just steps from the school.

How can I get to know the school, the other students and the city?

We have possibly the best, most fun and most varied social programme in Ireland, run by our Social Programme Coordinator.  Learn more about the social programme here and see sample schedules.  The Social Programme Coordinator will also meet you on your first day to give you an orientation of the school and of Dublin city centre.

Where can I find out more about the Social Programme?

Look at the big screens in the corridor, and on our Facebook Page.

Where can I give feedback / make a complaint?


We love to hear your comments!

We have two online feedback forms (one for during your course, and one for after your course).  Find them here!

There is also a feedback form available at reception and in the ADOS office.

You can ask to speak to a Swan ELT team member any time you wish, just contact reception.  The Student Welfare Officer is also dedicated to ensuring you are happy during your stay; just ask at reception for an appointment.

While we love to receive great feedback, we also rely on customers to tell us if we get things wrong or provide a service which is in any way unsatisfactory.

If you have a complaint, you can detail any complaint on a course feedback form, or contact us directly by phone 01-6775252 or email (  Any complaint or expression of dissatisfaction will be treated with the utmost seriousness.

We promise to:

•        Acknowledge promptly any complaint

•        Listen to what the complainant has to say and investigate the circumstances of the complaint

•        Following the investigation, provide a written response, detailing any action we plan to take

•        Learn from complaints so that we can continuously improve our service

As a member of EAQUALS we are also bound by the EAQUALS charters, available to view at here.  If you believe we are in breach of the  charter you may make a complaint to the EAQUALS Secretariat by emailing

The EAQUALS complaints procedure is backed up by the EAQUALS Ombudsman, an independent arbitrator, who as a last resort can be called on to decide on the basis of the evidence provided whether a complaint should be upheld or not, and if it is how it should be resolved.

What if I have questions outside of class-time?

You can make an appointment with our DOS/ADOS at any time.  They can help you with external exam information or you ask for help with your CV, questions about your homework or anything else. The Student Welfare Officer is available every lunch time to help you too.

How can I keep up to date with my lessons after class?

IELTS students can use Edmodo to help you keep up to date with your class work and your classmates.  You can download the Edmodo App here.  Ask your teacher or the ADOS how to join your Edmodo IELTS group.  If you miss a lesson, simply ask your teacher to give you any material that you didn’t receive.

What if I have problems with my accommodation?

We are happy to help. Contact the Accommodation Manager to find out her office hours and arrange to see her.

I’m on the Internship Programme and I have a problem with my employer.

You will meet the Internship Programme Manager on your first day and will be provided with contact details.  Keep in touch and let us know straight away if you have any problems we can help you with.

I have problems with my booking/visa/official paperwork – where can I get help?

The Admin Manager in the Student Support Office has office hours every day.  Or visit reception for help.

I need to open a bank account - who can help me?

The Admin Manager or the reception team can advise you.

I need a PPS number - where do I go?

The Admin Manager or the reception team can advise you.


How do I book an extra course?

Speak to someone in the Student Support Office – we are always happy to welcome you back!

Where do I get my certificate?

You should request your certificate from the ADOS or at reception 2 days before your last day.  You can then collect it from reception on your last day.

How can I leave feedback?

You can find the feedback forms in reception and online.  You will also have regular opportunities to complete course feedback forms in class.


Which travel ticket is right for me?

There are two tourist information offices within walking distance of the school. They are multi-lingual and are happy to help!

Where can I find out information about tourist attractions and make bookings?

The tourist information offices can help you make bookings and find out which tourist attractions you want to visit.  Our Social Programme also takes you to some of the most popular attractions – see  the Social Programme page here.

I need medical attention - where can I find a doctor or dentist?

Please visit reception and we can direct you to local medical providers.

Which phone numbers are useful to me while living in Ireland?

Emergency Services: 999
Pearse St. Garda Station: 01-6669000
Well Woman Centre: 01-8728051
Well Man Clinic: 01-8600364
City Medical Centre: 01-6777781
Dame St. Medical Centre: 01-6790754
The Samaritans (Free Crisis Helpline): 1850-609090
Irish Tourist Assistance Support: 1890 365700
USIT Office: 01-6021906 Dublin Bus: 01-8720000
Tourist Information: 01-4370969

Can I work in Ireland?

EU/EEA Students: If you are from any EEA member state country you can work in Ireland. You will need a PPS number (Personal Public Service Number) and an Irish bank account.

Non-EU/EEA Students: You can work for 20 hours per week in term time hours if you book a course longer than 25 weeks (and 40 hours outside of term). When you arrive in Ireland, you will be given an entry stamp on your passport by Immigration Authorities in the airport, which will allow you permission to remain in Ireland for one month from the initial entry date.

During this time:

  1. You must open a bank account.
  2. Obtain a bank statement.
  3. Go to the school admin office for the necessary documents.
  4. Go to Immigration with necessary documents to get the visa stamp and GNIB card for the duration of the course.

When are the shops open?

It depends on the shop, but most are open 7 days per week, 9am-5 or 6pm.

When are the banks open?

Most banks are open Monday-Friday only, from around 10am until around 4pm.

What is the electricity voltage here?

The standard electricity supply in Ireland is 230 volt AC (frequency 50hz).  We use 3-pin plugs, so you may need an adaptor.

Can you smoke anywhere in Dublin?

Smoking is prohibited in most Irish places indoors.

What do I do in an emergency?

You can contact the Gardai (Police) on 999, or you may find the Irish Tourist Assistance Service helpful.  Alternatively, contact your local embassy or consulate.